Saturday, January 9, 2010

Is it too late for a Christmas post?

I sure hope not! But, beware, there are many pictures, and lots of talk about good times!!! I really feel like this was one of my favorite Christmases that I've had in a long, long time! I missed my family in Louisiana, and I cherish our Christmases together, but there is an undeniable restoration when no travel is necessary. My last day at work was the 18th, and we dismissed two hours early due to weather (snow, ice, and sleet). The next morning we went to Jonathan's family's in Florence and had Christmas with the Becker clan. It was a lot of fun, and nice to have everyone celebrating together. We then followed Poppy and Grammie Sue to Lancaster so that we could head to Bear Bottom the next morning! On Sunday, we got here.....
Isn't it beautiful???? It was an amazingly spectacular sight! There was only one problem - 12-14 inches of snow up hill isn't that easy to navigate. We parked the car here, and were going to attempt to use Poppy's Bulldog (4x4 utility vehicle) to get up the hill. However, the snow was too deep even for it, and about 1/2 way up, maybe 3/4 of the way up we got completely bottomed out and stuck! Therefore, we were hiking, up that hill, in twelve inches of snow, barefoot; okay, not barefoot, but carrying a baby. Jonathan actually made this trek down and back up 2 more times to get necessities out of the car. Usually in tense situations like this, one of us will try to be funny and the other will not really be in the mood, but we managed to be nice to one another, and got settled in quickly. On Monday, Jonathan got the Bulldog out of the snow, and we used it to get to the car, and ride around a bit the next couple of days. There was no leaving to go anywhere else, however; which, was actually really nice, and we spent a couple of days just focusing on the three of us (okay, 4 if you count Bristol, who by the way absolutely LOVED the fluffy, white stuff). Here's Emrick making his first snow angel:


Jonathan's parents joined us on Wednesday, and spent the rest of the week with us. It was nice once they got there, because Poppy would wake up with E in the middle of the night. Such a precious gift for this mommy since E didn't sleep as well in his pack n play. I made Shrimp and Grits Christmas Eve for dinner, and Poppy made some delicious rib roast Christmas day. So, just because we couldn't get out and about much didn't mean we didn't eat well. Christmas day was "sleety," but still very pretty looking! We did venture out to Galax, VA one day and gaze at many very pretty, snowy sights. When we got back, I felt so refreshed, and just valued the time that I got to spend with my boys, having NO agenda. Day to day, I am usually to caught up and tired to cherish precious time with them like I did the week of Christmas. There wasn't much to take my attention away from them, and it was such a valuable time for me. When we got home the following Sunday, my mom came to visit us for a couple of days, and that time was precious as well. I missed my dad, brother, sister, and all of their families. I wish that we could spend more time together. But, this Christmas was truly great and a time that I will not quickly forget. Some other sweet moments (sorry about the small pictures I stole them from facebook):
Christmas Eve Bathtime

Opening presents, and eating the tissue paper

Emrick laying on his new bear mat...I think he likes it!


Daddy playing with our new toy - CAMERA (that works) - thanks Grammie and Poppy!

E playing in his exersaucer and wearing Daddy's hat - I still think he looks just like him!
P.S. Coming soon: Very convincing evidence that Emrick looks JUST like his daddy!

1 comment:

Mountain Dreamer said...

I am soooo glad that the three of you (4, sorry Bristol) got to spend some quality time alone at Bear Bottom, and in the beautiful snow to boot. I am equally glad that you had such a wonderful Christmas. It was, without a doubt, my best Christmas ever! Spending it with my family made it PERFECT! Thank you for completing our family and being such a special "daughter". Love, Poppy