Monday, October 4, 2010


So, Sunday, October 3, 2010 is a day that the Edmonds family won't be forgetting any time soon!
Let me start at the beginning. Over the past week, Emrick hasn't felt terrific. He has had cold symptoms, has been teething, and his temperature has been running 100.2 or so. Nothing terrible, and nothing really out of the ordinary for him. I picked him up a little early from daycare on Friday.
And, since his fever was a little elevated and he felt bad, I decided to take him to the doctor on Saturday morning (Jonathan's mom came with me since they were in town). They treated a sinus infection, and said the elevated temperature was probably due to a viral infection. We went home, and tried to have him rest. He spiked once on Saturday to 103, but we kept alternating motrin and tylenol like we usually do.
Sunday, he seemed to be feeling a little better, but still felt a little feverish. We went to church, but I just kept him with me. I checked his temperature in the middle of service because he felt a little warmer. His temperature was 101. I gave him tylenol.
After church, we went to eat. He seemed fine, didn't eat great, but also didn't act like he felt all too terrible. We then went to the Greenville Zoo. He seemed fine, just a little tired due to not having a nap.
When we got home around 4:30, I noticed he felt really warm all of the sudden. Then I noticed he was shivering a little. Jonathan advised me to take his temperature, 103.6. Jonathan noticed he was somewhat unresponsive and focused on the fan in his room. We both knew something wasn't right. Susan (Jonathan's mom) is the first one that said it looked like he could be having a seizure. At that point we decided to head to the closest ER. On the ride, Emrick became completely unresponsive.

At this point, I am just going to write in bullets because so much happened so quickly:
-arrived at ER in Travelers Rest around 4:45
-they formally diagnosed a seizure and started medicating to try to get it to stop
-we move to a larger treatment room, and they continue working
-they start preparing us for the transport to Greenville Memorial Children's PICU and explain that the ambulance's sirens are precautionary
-Jonathan at some point leaves and Donald Spann is at the door, which Jonathan needed at the time
-around 5 they start talking about how this seizure is lasting longer than most febrile seizures (caused by fevers)
-spinal tap is performed to test for meningitis (at which point I'm freaking out inside)
-they asked us to step out while they did the tap, and our community group leader (Wes Cavin) was there, and I pretty much broke down while he prayed for us
-they let us back in and he calms down, and basically goes to sleep (a deep drug induced sleep)
-ambulance arrives and we make our trek down to Memorial (we actually didn't drive with sirens and lights since he wasn't seizing anymore)

-arrived at Memorial around 7 pm
-by 8pm our community group was here, as well as our community group pastor, some other close friends from church, the Spanns and Jermile were all at the hospital with us (we prayed, cried, and felt so extremely blessed by this)
-Sunday night he was out until about 11:30
-at 11:30, he woke up and came to enough that I felt like my baby was back
-Sunday night was pretty restless, with at least seven cords hooked to him, he just couldn't get comfortable
-we were moved into a regular room (out of ICU) on Monday afternoon
-we had a couple of more meaningful visits
-Monday was somewhat frustrating because he was so sleepy and has absolutely no idea what he wants...and extremely fussy (but we'll take that over what we had Sunday afternoon for sure)

Our hope is that he will be able to head home Tuesday at some point. Such an emotional and scary experience, but once again, God was able to use it to remind us that we are loved and that we have such an amazing support group. I can't not thank, you, everyone that was praying with and for us the past two days. Even as I type this, I am overwhelmed at the blessing that we have received. God is good, and He was good on Sunday, and we will continue to praise Him.

*I'm sure when I'm a little more coherent, I'll be editing, but just wanted to write what I could remember while it was fresh.


Garrett and Allison Reed said...

Definitely praying for you guys and sweet little Emrick. Please let me know if I can do anything at all. LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!!!!!!


julia :: the long long swing said...

oh, guys, i am so sorry to hear about this...and days later! but thankful that things are looking up. poor little guy. will definitely be praying for you!

Marianne said...

Bailey and Jonathan! Love you so much and your sweet little Emrick. Praying from Bogota! Wish I was there to visit and help in some way. Praise God for all the miracles he gave you that day.